Friday, November 03, 2006

Pigeons! The Big Bird Scourge of the Skies!

I was waiting outside B40 the other night for my ride to come, when I noticed an odd van. Well, the van itself wasn't odd -- the van was a regular old van -- rather it was what was written on the van that caught my eye: dépigeonnage. I wish I had had a camera, as I found it wonderful.

Pigeons, as any city-dweller knows, are the rats of the sky. Even Marco with his love of peanuts and multiculturalism can't convince me otherwise. It seems thusly fitting that a pest eradication service would offer pigeon-removal services. We actually had problem with pigeons nesting in B180 and defecating on our sectors.

De-pigeoning seems a natural wish of many people, but I love the formation of "dépigeonnage" -- a delightful portmanteau of "pigeon" and "dépannage" (an outage). As a fan of wordplay, I thrill to see it occurring in other languages, especially one with the stodgy, hide-bound rep of French.

No comments: